Graduation Countdown!

Week 10 Story: The Destined Love of Rukmini

Rukmini and Krishna. Source: Bonobology
Growing up, I heard countless stories of my one love: Krishna. He was naughty, brave, and loving. His qualities were felt through these stories and I could not bear the thought of not loving him. I prayed for him daily, I worshipped him in every thought. It was consuming, but only benefitted me at all times. I was devoted. I had never understood what it meant to be a devotee until the first story of Krishna I heard. When I was a young girl, I heard of Krishna going to defeat his birth mother's brother, Kamsa. His bravery to approach his destiny was something that others besides myself admired greatly. He took each task at hand and faced them with no fear. For he was Krishna, of course. All I could do was sing his praise in every word, breath, and move I made. It was my destiny to serve and love him til the end of time. As I grew older, I was certain he was the one for me. When the time came, I was ready to be his wife.

My brother, Rukmi, however, was not accepting of my love for Krishna. For he wanted me to rather marry his friend Shishupala because Krishna had killed Rukmi's good friend Kansa. All the drama aside, I felt it was necessary to take the situation into my own hands.

I have always been known for my expression of feelings. I think it is important to show myself as an equal. When Rukmi decided to marry me off to Shisupala, I decided to declare my love for Krishna. I shouted to all that I would not marry none other than Krishna, and if this cannot be allowed, then I will drown myself in the palace well. One would think I am being over zealous for such a supposedly small event, but my love for Krishna is unending and strong. I cannot imagine my life without my one love.

I wrote Krishna a letter. I could not bear the thought to live a life without him. I told him to come and retrieve me from the temple near our palace, otherwise I would continue with my plans at the palace well. I was giving up hope for a while. It seemed as though Krishna was not going to show, but I just knew he had to. He had to come and retrieve me to save me from this mess. I waited and waited. I could hear Rukmi's army of me coming closet to take me back to the palace and force me to marry. The wind picked up and the bells of the temple were singing their sweet songs. I turned around to see my one love, Krishna, standing in the temple with me. He had come. I had known it all along.

That is the story of how I came to be Krishna's wife. Ever since that day, I have worshipped him in every aspect to ensure that he is well taken care of. There are no words to express the joy and happiness I feel with every waking breath next to my lord.

Oh no! Krishna is calling for me. I will return later for to recount more of my beloved Krishna.

Author's Note

The story of Rukmini is one of pure devotion. Krishna is a God that is loved by all and admired by all. He brings hope, love, and joy into lives with just worshipping him. Rukmini is a good example of how beloved he truly is and what one feels for Krishna. Although she became his wife, her devotion and admiration for Krishna are feelings that transfer onto the rest of us as well. I wanted to tell her side of the story in her own perspective. She, too, is brave, outspoken, and strong. I wanted to bring these aspects out in this story a bit through her writing. So I turned her story into her diary excerpt.

Bibliography

"Rukmini" by KidsGen. Web source.

"Krishna's Wife Rukmini Was a Lot Bolder Than Most of Today's Women" by Bonobology. Web source.

Comments

  1. Simran, your story was very fun to read, and I enjoyed it very much. I liked how you progressed through the story at a good pace. It was especially cool to see your character progression. It was well developed and played really nicely into your narrative. Overall, your story was very fun to read and I can’t wait to read more of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simran, great story! I always like to read stories that utilize first person narrative structures. The structure tends to provide a really interesting story because it focuses the story on the main character. It helps to flesh out the nature of the character and show what kind of person they are. Again, I really liked the story and great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Simran! Your story is definitely one of my favorites. I loved the Krishna epic we got to read in class (specifically the epified version), so I'm glad you decided to write a story about it. So far, I've not read a story that was told in the first person, so your tale "The Destined Love of Rukmini" is also unique in that regard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts