Graduation Countdown!

Week 5 Story: Super Rama Bros.

**Make your reading experience elevated to a new level and press play at the end of this post!**

Mario and Peach were enjoying a wonderful day in the kingdom. The castle in Mushroom Kingdom was grey with its red brick roof and green lawn. The shrooms roamed aimlessly, bouncing into one another without notice. They were not quite fond of Mario with his bull-red cap and dusty overalls. As soon as the shrooms made eye-contact with Mario, they charged at the sight of his red cap. Yet, Mario made the choice of living in Peach's castle for the sake of her people and this sacrifice was one he was willing to make. Peach's family was extensive and wanted her to rule the Kingdom. Unfortunately her sister Daisy was extremely jealous and went to the King to speak with him immediately. She decided to pamper him in order to warm him up to the idea that she should be the Queen of Mushroom Kingdom instead.

After rubbing the King's feet, obeying his every wish, and relieving him of some of his duties, the King asked, "Oh, Daisy. You have treated me so well. Please let me know of anything you need. Just say the word and it is yours!

Daisy was ecstatic and exclaimed, "send Peach away for 14 years and crown me as Queen!"

The King was surprised but he had given his word, for giving one's word was the ultimate vow. He had to give in for all that she had done. The King sent Peach away for 14 years and she willingly went to protect her people.

Mario willingly joined her for her protection and Luigi followed to provide company. The dream team trio was formed! One day Peach witnessed a rare sparkly, pink shroom crossing near their abode in the forest. It was so beautiful that she swore she saw it smile, a rarity for the shrooms. She demanded that she must have it at once.

Mario responded, "Are you sure, Peach? I do not want to abandon you, it could be Bowser playing his tricks again."

Peach replied, "I must have it! The King will be quite amused when we bring him back. This one even smiled! It must be destiny."

Mario, sighing heavily, complied and ventured forward to capture this unique, yet unreal, creature. Moments later, Bowser creeped from behind the trees. His large shell with its sharp spikes shone brightly with eagerness. He was ready to capture Peach once again for the millionth time. This game, for him, never got old and he enjoyed taunting Mario. But he was sure this time he would defeat Mario instead.

Peach squealed, "Mario! Come and save me!"

As Bowser took her through several worlds, Mario sought the help of his friends to defeat each world and bring back Peach, SUPER Mario Brothers style. As he fought through the grassy world, onto the desert world, cannoned into the ice world, back to the beach world, and more, Mario finally reached the ultimate goal: Bowser's Castle. Here he knew he would find Peach. He had the help of his brother Luigi, other power-ups, and more. There was enough running around now. This was the final countdown! As Mario navigated Bowser's Castle, he dodged all sorts of traps.

In the end, Mario was able to defeat Bowser and retrieve Peach! The exile was over, as it had taken all 14 years for Mario to find her. He took Peach back to Mushroom Kingdom and celebrated their return. Daisy was Queen, but was willing to share her throne. The world seemed at peace. It was only a matter of time until Bowser returned and snatched Peach up again.

Mario in World 1. Source: DenofGeek
Author's Note:

I truly thought it was hilarious how the Ramayana felt like Super Mario Bros by Nintendo. It had only occurred to me because I was playing the game. I meant to write this as a more humorous/sarcastic piece that emphasized the relationship between the two stories: one is cultural and detailed while the other is a game. This was so funny to write, and I hope that this short summary of the Ramayana as a version of Mario can give someone a chuckle. I would love some feedback on how to write such pieces if my goal was not accomplished!

Bibliography

The Ramayana by R. K. Narayana (1973). Literary Source.
 

Comments

  1. Hello Simran! First I have to say that I laughed through basically this whole story. I love your interpretation SO MUCH! As soon as it got to the vow part I realized what story you had based this on and I lost it. It was so fun to read your story and I love how you intertwined two seemingly unrelated things to make a relatable and easily absorbed story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Simran! I really enjoyed reading your story! I loved how you switched the characters around to create your own interpretation of the story. I also liked how you wrote about the story of Sita and the golden deer and changed it to Princess Peach and the Pink Shroom. I thought it was clever that you included the story in a way that Princess Peach is then kidnapped, similar to Sita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Bravo! I love it! I have not read a story yet, nor written one, where the story was kept, and the characters discarded. Mostly everyone and this includes myself, has kept the characters and played around with their stories. So, basically, I am very impressed! The story made me smile the entire read, and I thought that you had hit your mark. I also had a chuckle that you must be this extremely intelligent, smart woman...going to Med school(Congrats!)....and yet you play Mario. A perfect & harmonious balance! A course, Mario is a classic! Looking forward to your future stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Simran! I just wanted to say wow… you got me. I did not expect Super Mario Bros playing when I clicked on your blog! I honestly laughed. I love your creativity so far! I found it hilarious how you found your inspiration because you were playing the game. I like how you related the original story into something so fun to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts