Graduation Countdown!

Feedback Strategies

Giving feedback is much harder than receiving it. At least that is how it is for me. I feel like I can take criticism well, but I am always afraid to give feedback without feeling like I might make someone upset. That does not imply, however, that I am rudely giving back advice. I just do not know how someone else takes feedback.

Reading these articles was incredibly helpful not only for my peers, but also for my younger brother. I am always tutoring or sitting with him to teach him more about the subjects he is learning. Yet, at times I do not always know how to give him feedback or let him know what he is doing wrong in the most effective way possible. That is why I read the first article called What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow? It was fascinating to learn that many children will respond the way their parents speak to them when dealing with situations. I think I have begun to see the effects of that in my brother. It is important to always watch our tone, mannerisms, behavior, and our own responses to situations in order to properly demonstrate appropriate behavior when dealing with stressful or unintended situations. I think I gained a lot of knowledge in this area that also apply to teaching. Whether it is teaching my brother or fellow peers, it is important to understand how they will respond in the future and how we can better ourselves in these positions.

I loved the second article How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk because it teaches one how to interact with those older than us. In Hindu culture it is disrespectful to criticize those who are elder because they are much wiser and have more experience. However, in modern times there are traditionalists that still linger. There are viewpoints and behaviors that we may not all agree with, but there are ways to express that without sounding harsh. That does not always mean the other person will listen, but it is worth a shot. This article will be beneficial as I move through the next phase of my life in the graduate/working world. I hope to practice it here in my blog to ensure that I am capable of providing feedback in the most respectful way possible.

Take feedback like a boss. Source: Bloglovin

Comments

  1. I also think it’s important that we watch how we say things. Even in my life I’ve noticed how I can remember those like three things I heard that were negative, but I barely remember as positive. Sometimes they didn’t even mean to be negative, I just perceived it that way. There are ways to say things without totally bashing someone’s beliefs, an I absolutely think it’s important that we know how to do that. I thought you made some good points.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts